i don't claim to know it all. i don't claim to be perfect. i just claim to love jesus.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

kites

this week i was blessed by a 'veteran' homeschool mom who came to talk at a mom's group i go to. it was a great night of fun and fellowship. and she shared a sweet poem by erma bombeck.

""I see children as kites. You spend a lifetime trying to get them off the ground. You run with them until you're both breathless...they crash...you add a longer tail...they hit the rooftop...you pluck them out of the spout...you patch and comfort, adjust and teach. You watch them lifted by the wind and assure them that someday they'll fly.

Finally they are airborne, but they need more string and you keep letting it out and with each twist of the ball of twine, there is a sadness that goes with the joy because the kite becomes more distant and somehow you know that it won't be long before that beautiful creature will snap the lifeline that bound you together and soar as it was meant to soar...free and alone.

Only then do you know that you did your job.""

isn't that the truth? we work so hard to guide and fly our little children...only to one day 'let them go' and be 'free' in this crazy world. the one and only thing i hope to do for them is that they trust and rely and follow God. because i'm doing my best to guide and fly my children in the ways of God. to show them that for me it has been the only thing keeping me flying safely.

and even yet sometimes when i feel like i've failed them...i realize i haven't at all. that the string is still securely in my hands. i've just lost my own focus on Christ. and when i re-focus...it makes focusing on my job that much easier.

being a parent is a hard job. one of the most rewarding. but one of the hardest. we're faced with a bajillion choices. and then we have others telling us what THEY think WE should choose. i've realized one thing in being a parent...it's really no different then high school. you're going to be 'judged' for everything you decide to do. you're never 'cool' enough. and people will talk about you regardless.

so i've learned. i'm going to be the parent God has called me to be. and essentially...that's all that matters. as long as the life i'm living is pleasing God. no one else's opinions matter. it's all about living confidently in the calling He has placed on my beautiful life. and oh how beautiful it is.

five beautiful kites flying in my hands...and three more flying free in heaven. and i couldn't be more happier with the kites i've been given

9 loving words from you.:

mittelmommy said...

beautiful. what priceless kites you hold in your hand and even more priceless kites awaiting...
the toughest hardest most rewarding job ever!
happy flying!

Veronica said...

Beautifully written, Amanda! You're making me want to cry!

You are right...January is just around the corner and I am SO looking forward to you coming this way, I can hardly stand it! Hope you've been well this week! Love you!

He & Me + 3 said...

That was beautiful Amanda. So true. I am faced with the words "everyone else will be there or doing it" lately with my 10 year old...about sleepovers or fun school events. I have to reel her back in and tell her over and over again that I am doing what I think is best for her and for our family...I am not the other girls parents and God wants me to take care of my kids. Hard concept for them to get at such a young age, but I am hoping that one day she will understand why I said no or why we made the choices we made for them. Parenting is hard...but my kites are doing a pretty good job soaring so far.
Hugs,
Mimi

Sarah MP said...

very well said!

Ashley said...

i find that not only is parenting no different than high school with regards to people still judging you for what you do and don't do, but life in general is like that unfortunately. but like you said so beautifully... we need to be the parent (and human being) that GOD calls us to be and NO ONE else! :)

Jennifer W. said...

I love Erma Bombeck!! That poem is beautiful...and true! Life is SOOOO like high school...people judging and trying to fit you into their own pattern of the way they think things should be, and making life miserable when you don't change for them. But I'm holding to these kite strings-all 6!-because God gave them to ME. They are mine to fly and I will fly them the way I feel God is leading me to until the day He tells me it's ok to let them fly on their own! Thanks for this post. It was beautiful.
Jen

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

That was just lovely. :)

Alicia W said...

So nice! And I love the picture of baby E up on the top. SO SWEET!

Erin said...

thats a beautiful way of looking at things!